Monday, February 4, 2008

Sticking to Exercise


Born To Run
Originally uploaded by Cathy G
I'll admit it -- last week, I only walked one day. To make it worse, the day that I did walk was only because I wanted to get out of the lunch room and didn't have anywhere to go before my lunch ended. I did find a neat abandoned road that leads to a dead end so it has seen more traffic from geese lately than from cars.

I walked today and my plan is to keep at it since, according to a recent study, an irregular exercise pattern may add pounds. While the study focused on runners who move a lot more miles per week than I do, the advice can't hurt. Hopefully by walking more regularly, I'll build up to huge numbers like 30 miles per week.

When commenting on the study, Paul Williams of Berkeley Lab’s Life Sciences Division said:
We are getting fat because we don’t exercise sufficiently and consistently. The real solution to the obesity epidemic is getting people to exercise before they think they need it, and to stick with it. The ounce of prevention is indeed worth a pound of cure.

No comments: