Friday, February 15, 2008

Proposition 3-17


guiness shamrock
Originally uploaded by mikedemers
I ended up calling out sick today -- this cold just won out and I needed to sleep and let my body heal. Thankfully it is the weekend, and I can just veg out now. While I was tossing and turning through fever-induced dreams, it occurred to me that there aren't any holidays between New Years and Memorial Day. Sure, there is Valentine's Day and Fat Tuesday, but we don't get off of work for those. Even President's Day only benefits those who work at banks, post offices, etc.

Thankfully, the fine folks at Guiness have realized the same thing. They've started an online petition to make St. Patrick's Day an official holiday in the United States. They hope to present congress with one million signatures by midnight on March 16th. I'm all for this idea because the last few years, I haven't braved the crowds to celebrate the holiday. If I could celebrate at any time during the day, then that would be perfect.

Wait, what? Are you serious? Guiness mixed with Jamison and Bailey's Irish cream isn't a health food? Well, thankfully there are some low carb St. Patrick's Day dishes. Both the pub salad and cheese tart sound great and the Irish coffee will help you stay hip while everyone else is drinking their pints.

No comments: