Monday, February 11, 2008

C8H10N4O2


No Monster, no WORK!
Originally uploaded by WasabiDoobie
Those wacky scientists and the media are at it again (still). In one week, I'm reading two different opinions on caffeine. One says that it is the best thing you can do for your body and the other says it can make you fat.
According to this month's issue of Men's Health, scientists at Harvard found that drinking five cups of coffee a day cuts the risk of developing diabetes in half. At the same time, researches at Duke University are reporting that consuming the caffeine in four cups of coffee can raise a diabetic's daily sugar level by 8%. I suppose these two things don't really conflict, since one deals with non-diabetics and the other with diabetics, but it still could lead to consumer confusion.

Well, personally, I know I'm addicted to the stuff. If I go a day or two without it, I get headaches and cranky. That is probably a bad thing, but I really don't have time to battle with the addiction. I'm thinking of doing some sort of caffeine detox on my vacation in May, but we'll see how that goes then.

Thankfully, there are plenty of caffeine sources for me to rely on in the mean time. Snickers Charged is a new candy bar that has 60 milligrams of caffeine, taurine and other vitmains in it. I'm sure it has a ton of sugar in it, so I'll be sticking to my Monster Lo-Carb. In a recent comparison of energy drinks, Monster was the all-around winner when considering both taste and energy delivered. While the ill-named Cocaine energy drink gave more energy, it apparently tasted like pure pain. Thanks, but no thanks.

No comments: