Saturday, December 1, 2007

Step right up!

Come one, come all -- see the miraculous corpulence cure!

Welcome to my blog. My name is Jon and this is my journey to go from 400+ pounds go a reasonable weight for my height. According to BMI, thats about 183, but in the end, I think I'm going to end up basing it off my body-fat percentage and waist size. I heard the other day that your waist size should be half of your height, so when I'm donning 36" pants, I'll rejoice.

Over the past two years, I've tried all the diet snake oil I could find. I've tried liquid diets, mono-food diets, plans that claimed exercise wasn't needed or that I could eat whatever I wanted. I probably would have tried more if some of the more outlandish ones weren't also expensive.

But lately, I've been listening to the podcasts of some guys who have lost weight and kept it off doing things that seem completely reasonable to me: eating nutritious food and exercising. Each of them have followed different plans, from Dr. Atkins program to Dr. Ornish' plan.

How am I planning to get my weight down and keep it like that?

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
-- Bruce Lee

I'm going to try out different eating and exercise plans that seem sensible to me. My current plan is to try each one for a month, take the parts of it that worked for me and add them to an ever growing list that is my diet. I'm sure I'll also pull in information from the various diet and fitness blogs I read on a daily basis.

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one."
-- Mark Twain

My first goal is to get below 400 before the end of the year and maintain that weight into January. I want this to be the last year that the scale ever says 400+ for me.

No comments: