Thursday, December 13, 2007

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Today was the first day since I started walking regularly that it was raining outside and while I got my walk done, it sucked. It wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't doing my walking during my lunch break -- I ended up with wet slacks. It looks like it may be raining and snowing for at least the next week, so I dug up some useful tips for walking in the rain.
  1. Visibility is reduced during the rain, so wear bright colors or reflective clothing especially if walking near or across roads.
  2. Keep a change of dry clothes and a towel in a bag so that you can change immediately after walking. This will keep you from getting chilly afterwards.
  3. Look in to investing in waterproof shoes. Many different types exist, from expensive waterproof boots to sealant for your current shoes. Water proof socks and gaiters are another option.
  4. Layer your clothing and include a water proof jacket or poncho. Layers will allow you to avoid being too hot or too cold. Look for a jacket with underarm vents or zippers to allow perspiration to escape while keeping the rain out.

No comments: