Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Broccoli Prevents Aggressive Prostate Cancer


Broccoli
Originally uploaded by Яick Harris
I'm not quite old enough yet to have to go see a proctologist and have my prostate checked for cancer, but I'm not looking forward to it. I certainly hope when I finally end up having to go, everything turns up normal and I don't have to see that doctor again for a long time. Thankfully, my broccoli-laden diet seems to be one way I can help make sure that check-up goes well.

A study in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute indicates that men who ate a weekly serving of broccoli cut their risk for aggressive prostate cancer by 45%. The research was conducted by completing a food survey for 1,300 men who had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Spinach consumption also seemed to be associated with a reduced risk but the findings were less significant.

Other cancer experts aren't convinced that broccoli is a magic bullet, but instead just part of a healthier diet that would lead to a healthier body. Chris Hiley, head of policy and research at The Prostate Cancer Charity commented on the new study.
Whilst waiting for definitive evidence it's clear that men should be eating at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

No comments: