Saturday, December 8, 2007

Santa Claus on a Diet?


Santa Claus
Originally uploaded by fabbriciuse
When I was younger, I always got so excited on Christmas Eve. I would diligently put out the cookies for Santa and then lay in bed, desperately trying to fall asleep so that when I woke up, it would be Christmas. However, I never once though of Santa Claus as a role model. I never said "Hey, when I grow up, I want to be a jolly fat man with a bowl made of jelly." However, the acting U.S. Surgeon General Steven K. Galson thinks that Santa should be a better role model for children.
"It is really important that the people who kids look up to as role models are in good shape, eating well and getting exercise," acting U.S. Surgeon General Steven K. Galson was reported as saying after a recent presentation on obesity.

Santa has respectfully said "no, no, no" to going on a diet. Thankfully, except for a few bureaucrats who like to hear themselves pontificate, most people seem to understand that Santa isn't there to be a fitness role model. In fact, Susen Mesco, president of an event planning company American Events, put things in to good perspective.
"We have so many things to worry about in the universe besides Santa saying Merry Christmas, 'ho ho ho' and what Santa's chowing down on."
Besides, Ronald McDonald is slim -- does that make him a good role model for children? If you want kids to learn about fitness through hamburgers, french fries and milk shakes, I guess so.

No comments: